15 Must Have Beauty Essentials
Welcome to Better Organic Choice (BOC), a column focusing on makeup, skincare and beauty tips, tricks and product advice for the holistically hip. We cover the best in green glam, behind the scenes and in your face (not your traditional crunchy granola here). We are here to help you explore all the beauty treatments you adore! Do you often worry if your beauty products are dangerous to your health? Are you dizzy from analyzing ingredients? Guiding you is my pleasure.
Women are constantly writing and asking about my favorite beauty essentials. As an Emmy nominated makeup artist with 20 years experience, I thought I would share. All of the beauty tools I use as a professional makeup artist I also love personally. I hope you enjoy.
1) Tweezerman Slanted Tweezers- We all know that eyes are the focal point of the face, so we need to make sure we keep our brows groomed. A great set of tweezers is essential. Tweezerman has been the leader for over 30 years, and is must have in the kit of every professional makeup artist.
2)Tweezerman Brow Shaping Scissors and Brush - Another essential beauty tools by Tweezerman.
3) Beautyblender Pure- the ultimate make up sponge applicator. Invented by top Hollywood makeup artist Rea Ann Silva, it’s great for applying primers, moisturizers, concealers, foundations and powders. Beautyblender Pure is latex free, non-allergenic, odor-free and dye-free.
4)ZuZu Luxe Anti Bacterial Cosmetic Wipes- drenched with hydrating and nourishing plant extracts to gently and effectively remove makeup and mascara.
5) Shu Uemura Eyelash Curler- This is the best one, hands down.
The right brushes are a key beauty essential not only for professional makeup artists, but for any women who wants a flawless face. There are a few beauty essentials you can bargain hunt for, but brushes in my opinion is not one of them. The right brushes taken care of properly will last years. Cheap brushes on the other hand will shed, and you will end up replacing them in a few months time.
6) MAKE UP FOR EVER Double-Ended Sculpting Brush #204- This is a great two-in-one brush for highlighting and contouring the cheek area. This brush is made from synthetic fibers.
7) MAKE UP FOR EVER Double-Ended Shader and Smudger Brush #158- Another great two-in-one product. This brush is great for smudging and applying shadows and creams in small area’s. This brush is made from synthetic fibers.
8) MAKE UP FOR EVER Larger Shader Brush #230- I love this brush for applying shadow all over the eye, it’s also great for blending. This brush is made from synthetic fibers.
9) MAKE UP FOR EVER Blush Brush #160- I love the shape of this brush! It helps to lift the cheekbones. A must have. This brush is made from synthetic fibers.
10) MAKE UP FOR EVER Lip Brush with Cap #304- I love, this brush because I’m a germaphobe when it comes to lip brushes, and this one has a cap. Ideal when you have to stick it in your purse. This brush is made from synthetic fibers.
11) Some women prefer to purchase an entire set of brushes at once. If this applies to you, I would recommend the Bdellium Tools Green Bambu Series. The brushes are professional eco-friendly with all sustainable bamboo handles. They are vegan. They also have great tutorials on their site that shows you how to use them.
12) Indie Lee Brightening Cleanser - This product is actually a facial cleanser, but for me it’s a beauty essential to clean all of my brushes. It makes my brushes smell like strawberries.
13) Jao Hand Refresher – This is NOT your everyday yucky smelling hand sanitizer. It’s made with essential oils from lavender, chamomile and sage. I use it not only to refresh and sanitize my hands, but also to wipe down my tweezers and scissors.
14) Spa Sonic- I love this product because it’s a super gentle way to exfoliate the skin. I use it especially on my celebrity clients to give the skin a natural glow before applying makeup. It works amazing with the Indie Lee Brightening Cleanser.
15) Whitening Lightning - Let’s face it: Your smile is your number one beauty essential. Finally a natural botanical whitening system. It does not burn or sting, and it brightens your smile up to 5 shades. It’s made with food grade glycerin, mint oil and aloe juice.