5 Ways to Firm Up Face and Body
As summer splashes into full swing, many of us are already treating sunburns and flabby blemished skin. Neglecting your skin may start on your face but skincare routines for the whole body also fall by the wayside this time of year. If you’re seeing sunspots, fine wrinkles and splotchy skin already, the folks at Massage Envy Spa in Los Angeles are committed to helping you keep your skin looking and feeling deeply hydrated and youthful.
Their partner, skin authority and dermatologist Howard Murad, MD, offers his top tips to keep your face blemish-free and clear:
1. Take the time to rejuvenate your skin with a facial or moisturizing body treatment, at least once a month. (Check to see if your healthcare insurance covers it for rashes, back acne or other skin conditions.) Dr. Murad suggest products with vitamin C and skin supplements, and washing with products designed for sensitive skin.
2. Everyone knows that sunscreen application is important to protect against UVA/UVB rays, but antioxidants also fight against damaging free radicals responsible for visible signs of aging such as wrinkles, hyperpigmentation and uneven texture. Massage Envy suggests using products with pomegranate extract for added antioxidant protection. Also, topical anti-inflammatories help neutralize redness and cell damage. Try arnica, zinc and aloe vera.
3. If your back and rear are breaking out because of increased oil production, cleanse with products packing a high amount of salicylic acid. Try Dr. Murad’s Clarifying Enzyme Acne cream too. To alleviate sports bra breakouts and forehead spots, he recommends always using a cleanser with a high amount of salicylic acid.
4. Eat right. Food fuels your body and mind and eating the right produce can strengthen your skin’s ability to protect itself against environmental damage. Select water-rich raw fruits and vegetables such as goji berries, tomatoes, watermelon, broccoli, cabbage, mangoes, strawberries and green tea.
5. The proven benefits of routine massage include improved circulation, relief from pain and swelling caused by arthritis, reduced blood pressure, fatigue and stress, as well as improved sleep, concentration and overall sense of well-being. Try a hot stone massage, foam rollers to self-massage and gentle yoga stretches after any workout to increase your own range of motion, detox your skin and enhance skin’s firmness and flexibility.
Connect with Nicole @nicoledorsey1