Celebrate National Pizza Week With Us
I grew up with Ray’s Pizza in NYC and that is my high-water mark for delicious gooey fatness, and when I’m in NY, I visit at least once. Plus I try to only eat one phat fat slice. But I live in Los Angeles, and our state pizza pretty much sucks, and everyone blames the water quality but I seriously blame the waistlines of pizza lovers in skinny-haven Los Angeles. We cannot stand to scarf a Sicilian deep-dish pepperoni pizza because that’s more calories tan most of us eat in five days here on the Left Coast. (and we’re tan, too.)
I’m almost serious. And pizza was on my mind when I talked to staff at the Pritikin Longevity Center about my favorite vice in Los Angeles… and I do mean pizza. To celebrate America’s favorite food (and Italy’s!) without breaking your healthy resolutions, Chef Anthony Stewart of the Pritikin Longevity Center and Spa created a healthy veggie pizza especially for us.
Chef Stuart says this makes the perfect dinner (but be sure to make an extra pie in order brown bag the next day too.) Chef Stuart say says, “Vegetable Pizza
Perfect is for picky eaters or those times when you’re cooking for one, and you crave healthy alternatives.”
Individual Veggie Pizza
- 1 yellow pepper, julienne
- 1 red pepper, julienne
- 1 zucchini, julienne
- 1 yellow squash, julienne
- 1 red onion, julienne
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- ½ teaspoon black peppercorns, ground
- 4 tablespoons tofu Parmesan
- 1 cup fat free mozzarella
- two 8 ounce packs of Pritikin Pizza dough frozen (or supermarket version)
- 1 low-sodium cup marinara sauce
- Mix all vegetables with oregano, garlic & pepper.
- Steam for 1 minute and let cool.
- Add 2 tablespoons of sauce on each dough and spread out.
- Layer even amounts of vegetables on each.
- Sprinkle lightly with Parmesan & mozzarella.
- Bake at 450 f° degrees until crust is crunchy (about 8 minutes). Serve immediately.
Do you have any food-based resolutions to keep in 2013?Tags: coffee and nutrition, eco-friendly, superfood, sustainable green news